Year 1 2021 - 2022
Mrs Lonsdale 1WL
I have worked here at Woodlands for twelve years. I love being part of the Key Stage One team and working in Year One. When I am not in school I love to spend lots of time outside with my husband and our little girl at our allotment and in our garden!
Mrs Watts 1WL
Hello, I am Mrs Watts and have worked at Woodlands for the past 16 years.
During my time at Woodlands, I have worked primarily across Key Stage 1 and in Lower Key Stage 2 and am currently the RE and World Views lead. In my spare time, I enjoy running, reading and spending time with my son and daughter.
I enjoy teaching all subjects and particularly enjoy being part of the Key Stage 1 team at Woodlands. I can't wait for this year and I am sure we will have lots of fun during our learning journey in Year 1!
Hello everyone! I am Mr Barnes and I have been working at Woodlands Primary School for 15 years across EYFS, Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2.
I am passionate about the Arts and have led a number of whole school art projects since starting at Woodlands. One of the most successful projects was the one based on the impact of palm oil on animals in Sumatra. It was in association with Chester Zoo and the school looked amazing when completed. The children produced work of such a high standard and more importantly, understood how important it is to look out for products using sustainable palm oil ingredients.
Outside of school, I have two children, Mia, 16 and Charlie who is 14. I enjoy running, cycling, football and most of all, being with my family. I cannot wait to learn more about you, and discover what your passions, hopes and dreams are!
I am very excited to be your new teacher and I cannot wait to help you to be the best you can be!
Miss Sayce 1ES
Hello! My name is Miss Sayce and this is my second year working at Woodlands Primary School.
I am very excited to be your teacher in Year 1, and I know we are going to have lots of fun! I enjoy teaching all subjects but I particularly like history as there are so many exciting things to discover. I also love reading, some of my favourite books are 'Stickman' by Julia Donaldson and 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' by Eric Carle.
When I am not in school, I love to bake tasty treats for my friends and family, as well as grow fruit and vegetables in my garden! I also like to watch football, especially my favourite team, Shrewsbury Town FC.
I can't wait to get to know you all, I know we will have so much fun and learn a lot!
Welcome to Summer 1! We hope you have all had a wonderful break. We are looking forward to an exciting half-term and have lots of great activities planned to support our creative curriculum.
During this half term, we will be looking at the text, 'Toys in Space' by Mini Grey. We will be following a group of toys who are left outside, and become worried about being out in the dark. We will find out about how they choose to pass the time untill morning!
Literacy Mastery Targets for Summer 1:
- Join words and clauses using 'and'
- Punctuate sentences using a capital letter and a full stop, question mark or exclamation mark
- Add suffixes where no change is needed to the root of the word e.g. -ed, -ing, -er, -est
- Change the meaning of verbs and adjectives by adding the prefix un-
In Maths this half term, we will be exploring length and height. The children will learn how to:
- Compare length and heights using the language of length such as long/longer/short/shorter/tall/taller
- Measure length using non-standard units such as cubes
- Measure length using a ruler (cm)
We will also focus on multiplication and division. The children will:
- Count in 2s
- Count in 5s
- Count in 10s
- Make equal groups of numbers
- Add numbers in equal groups
- Make arrays by making equal groups and building them up in columns or rows
- Make doubles
- Make groups of equal amounts from a given total
- Share a number into groups of equal amounts
Read Write Inc. sessions will continue to develop the children's reading skills as they learn their sounds, segmenting and blending whilst also developing their comprehension skills. If you would like to help your child to practise their phonic knowledge for reading at home, then follow the link www.ruthmiskin.com for more information.
During Science this half term, we will be learning about everyday materials. The children will learn to:
- Identify and describe different materials, and objects they are made from
- Describe why some materials suit certain objects better than others
- Carry out an investigation to find out which materials are waterproof
Our topic this term is 'Toys'. We will:
- Explore toys from the past and present, putting them in chronological order
- Compare old and new toys, describing their similarities and differences
- Use a variety of artistic techniques to create a starry night cityscape inspired by Vincent Van Gough
- Design, make and evaluate a glove puppet
Some useful websites:
Please make sure that your child wears their PE kit to school on their PE days: Mondays and Thursdays
Indoor kit: a white t-shirt, black shorts, pumps and socks
Outdoor kit: plain, dark coloured jogging bottoms, a jumper or hoody and outdoor trainers, socks
Please make sure all items of school clothing are clearly labelled and that named water bottles are sent in daily.
Files to Download
Year 1: Events items
There are no Events items to display